Welcome to the Industry Building Blocks DashboardTM User Guide*.
The Industry Building Blocks Dashboard makes it easy for you to access, analyze and create dynamic reports on industry data. It delivers immediate value to market researchers and sales representatives as well as business executives and MBA students by letting you quickly analyze industry sectors and industry building blocks, as well as identify trends and patterns in global industry information.
The Spotfire tool lets you filter the 16,000 industry building blocks of information interactively, and gives you answers instantly.
How-To User Guide, The Basics:
Top Navigation Tab = "Welcome"
This page highlights how the 15,000+ industries, which make up most of the global economy, are grouped, using the hierarchy shown below:
- Industry Subsectors
- - Industry Groups
- - - Industry Subgroups
Top Navigation Tab = "Select Industry Sector, Industry Subsector, Industry Group & Industry Subgroup"
This page begins with a pie chart of the global economy presented in terms of the following industry sectors:
· Aerospace & Defense
· Agriculture, Forestry, Fishing & Hunting
· Autos, Trucks, Trains, Ships & Other Vehicles
· Banking, Financial Markets & Financial Services
· Chemicals Manufacturing
· Construction & Engineering
· Consumer Products Manufacturing
· Consumer, Education, Real Estate & Public Services
· Food Services & Lodging
· Food, Beverage & Tobacco Manufacturing
· Health Care, Life Sciences & Pharmaceuticals
· Insurance, Annuities & Health Plans
· IT, Business Consulting & Business Services
· Media, Information, Communications & Entertainment
· Mining, Metals, Energy, Utilities & Environmental Services
· Other Commercial Products Manufacturing
· Retail Trade
· Travel, Transportation, Wholesale, Distribution & Warehousing
· Unlawful Industries
1. Click on one of the Industry Sectors above, and another pie chart will then appear showing the Industry Subsectors of the Industry selected above.
2. Click on one of the Industry Subsectors above, and a third pie chart appears showing the Industry Groups of the Industry Subsector selected above.
3. Click on one of the Industry Groups above, and a fourth pie chart appears showing the Industry Subgroups of the Industry group selected above.
4. Select the Tab = "View Industry Details of Selected Industries".
Top Navigation Tab = "View Industry Details of Selected Industries"
This page has two parts. The left side of the page presents a list of the Industries that make up the Industry Group selected in the prior webpage (tab).
By clicking on one of the industries listed on the left side of the page, the right side of the page, with the title: "Details-On-Demand" will then displace the industry highlights using a template similar to the following:
- Industry Definition
- Industry Revenue & Growth Estimates for Five Years (2013 - 2017)
- Industry Competitors
- Industry Five Forces information
- Industry Competitors
- Industry Potential Entrants
- Industry Customers (Channel Types & End-Buyer Types)
- Industry Substitutes
- Industry Vendor Types
- Industry Product & Service Segments
- Industry Customer Segments
- Industry Channel Segments
- Industry Complements
- Customer Decision Makers
- Customer Purchase Criteria
- End Users
- Distribution Channel Purchase Criteria
- Industry Trends
- Economic Trends related to this industry
- Geopolitical Trends related to this industry
- Technology Trends related to this industry
- Industry Uncertainties
- Industry Success Factors
- Industry Social Responsibilities
- Cross-reference to NAICS codes (2-digit & 6-digit NAICS codes)
- Cross-reference to SIC codes
- Cross-reference to the UN's ISIC codes
- Additional industry-specific information.
Note that you can increase the width of the column on the right by holding down a left click on the mouse and moving to the left (similar to increasing the width of a column in Excel).
How-To User Guide, Moving Beyond The Basics:
On the page Tab = "Select Industry Sector, Industry Subsector, Industry Group & Industry Subgroup" the right column lists an assortment of available filters which can be used to select industries.
When you begin a session for the first time, all filter options are selected, ensuring that all 16,000 industries are available for selection, prior to you selecting industries by industry sector or one or more of the Filters in the right column. When you use a filter, notice how the number of industries selected changes at the bottom of the page. The filters below can be used independently or in combination with other filters.
Industry Name filter - Use the Industry Name filter to include industries with a common list of characters. For example, if you enter "mainframe", approximately 13 of of the 16,000 industries will be available for further sorting and selection.
Industry Sector Hierarchy filter - Use the Industry Sector Hierarchy filter to include (select) or exclude (deslect) industry sectors. The Industry Sector Hierarchy filter also enables the user to include (select) or exclude (deselect) industry subsectors and industry groups.
Industry Revenue filter - Use the Industry Revenue filter to include or exclude industries above or below selected estimated industry revenue amounts for 2014.
Industry Growth Rate filter - Use the Industry Growth Rate filter to include or exclude industries above or below selected estimated industry revenue growth rates for 2014.
Industry Attractiveness filter - Use the Industry Attractiveness filter to include or exclude industries based on their industry attractiveness rating / score.
Blue Versus Red Ocean Rating filter - Use the Blue Versus Red Ocean Rating filter to include or exclude industries based on their blue ocean rating.
NAICS Code filter - Use the NAICS Code filter to include or exclude industries based on their 2-digit level NAICS code or their 6-digit level NAICS code.
Target Consumers filter - Use the Target Consumers filter to include or exclude industries based on whether or not the industries target consumers.
Target Businesses filter - Use the Target Businesses filter to include or exclude industries based on whether or not the industries target businesses.
_ _ _
*This User Guide is subject to change at any time, and may not always be in sync with the actual system because the expectation is to add functionality on a continual basis. In addition, the number and types of filters listed in the right column will be based on large part to customer feedback. The trade-off appears to be simplicity versus searching through a long list of filters.